Fragile fingernails are ugly and annoying! Here are the best tips to get rid of brittle, thin, soft and grooved nails again.
Fragile, splintering fingernails probably know most women. They are ugly and annoying. Especially if you get stuck with your clothes or if you want the nail polish color to last longer than a few hours after a manicure . But fragile fingernails are no reason to despair. We’ll give you some tips and tricks to fix them again. Also: care tips for brittle fingernails.
Causes of brittle nails can be:
- No gloves at the housework: rinse, detergent or soap, solvent-based nail polish remover, but also too much water moisture and dry out skin and nails.
- Artificial fingernails and shellac damage the horny layer of the fingernails and make them soft and brittle.
- Injuries to the nail plate due to incorrect manicure and pedicure .
- Nutrient deficiency: If certain minerals, vitamins, trace elements and essential fatty acids, zinc or calcium are missing, the nails also suffer. Iron deficiency promotes brittle fingernails. But also a lack of vitamin A, B and vitamin C as well as biotin and folic acid can cause brittle nails.
- Diseases: Other causes of brittle nails include skin diseases such as nail fungus, eczema and psoriasis (psoriasis) and lichen. But also thyroid diseases such as hypothyroidism can lead to brittle nails.
Fragile fingernails: the right care
The best way to prevent the formation of brittle nails is still the right care. First, you should pay attention to the nail length: wear splintering nails as short as possible. To prevent the split, keep the file straight at the front when shortening, and file at a right angle to the sides. Do not go too deep under the nail. Also important: Nourish the nails regularly. In order to keep it supple, in the morning and in the evening massage in moisturizing nail oil all around. Ideal for: pure apricot oil. Here are more tips for beautiful fingernails .
Tips against brittle nails :
- OIL-ORGY: “For brittle hands, an oil pack helps me to treat the skin with a sugar-oil scrub, then embalm apricot kernel oil, wrap a guest towel – and bring some time, because it will only be over after about an hour : do not constantly disinfect your hands, especially hand disinfection contains dehydrating alcohols. “
- MASSAGE DATE: “Basically massage the cuticle and bed with oil three times a day, again using pure apricot kernel oil because it contains the most unsaturated fatty acids.” Important: Add oil with a Q tip to the underside of the nail painted nails, so the nail plate stays supple. “
- SURFACE WORK: “When cleaning the underside of the nail, use only a soft toothbrush, and if you use a metal file or a pair of nail scissors, you risk the finest hairline cracks in the nail bed.
- GLOSSY: ” Polishing buffers smooth grooves or splinter nails, but crack the surface Nail powder usually contains beeswax and kaolin – sprinkle on a polishing pad and rub it over the nails.The wax polishes into the nail and smoothes gently.”
Nail torn? This is how the SOS help succeeds
With instant adhesive:
Once a nail has been torn, it can be repaired with various methods – for example, special instant adhesives are handy for home use. When applying, however, you should be very careful: Just like superglue,which should not touch the skin in any case.
The template technique
Even the professional can repair a brittle nail. In the nail salon, the torn nail is painted with a special gel, which is then cured under UV light and then filed into shape. The artificial modeling can only do the professional – it is great for short nails, where the crack reaches far into the nail bed.
The tea bag trick
Rescue a torn fingernail with a teabag? What sounds weird at first, actually works. Of these, many millions of users have been convinced on the net. How to fix a fingernail with a tea bag you can read here.
Useful in the manicure: nail polish with care
Even with brittle fingernails you do not always want to do without colorful nail polish. So that this does not harm the nail additionally, but in the best case also maintains, one should pay attention to the ingredients directly when buying the paint. For example, varnish with diamond dust should harden the nail plate by forming a protective layer.
In addition, there are now plenty of color lakes on the market with calcium, which have been specially developed for brittle nails. If you still want to paint colored, here are cool nail polish trends and pretty mini-ideas for the nails . Too often, however, fingernails should not be painted off, as nail polish removers can put a lot of strain on them. We have all the tips for painting nails for you.
Nails with grooves? So they are nice and smooth
For rough nails to shine, apply a groove filler regularly. Inside are micro spheres that level out bumps. These can be bought in drugstores or beauty online shops. For smoothing a polishing file or a polishing pad, which make the fingernails shine properly. However, one should not use the polishers too often, as they naturally attack the structure of the nails, albeit minimally. Nail professionals recommend that nails are not polished more than every 4-6 weeks.
Strengthening nails from inside – how it works:
Take 2.5 milligrams of biotin daily. A study has shown that the nails become more stable after three months. Alternative: swallow silicon-containing silica or stir silica gel in yogurt. First successes are also evident after three months.
Diet – you can eat that to get healthy fingernails
At the top of the menu against brittle nails are tomatoes. They contain biotin & vitamin A, which promote nail growth and make fingernails stronger. We have great tomato recipes for you.
Also beneficial for nail growth: sweet potatoes , pumpkin seeds, green beans, eggs, bananas, fish rich in omega 3 fatty acids, carrots, milk and broccoli. Also, the consumption of lentils, spinach, soy and meat provides strong fingernails and prevents iron deficiency. We have more beauty food for hair and skin here for you.
Do nails split or become fat? Attention!
If fingernails or toenails turn darker on the sides, they become brittle and thick and the nail plate becomes unsightly, a nail fungus may be present. What you do best against this fungal disease, we explain in our article on nail fungus .
THIS should be avoided with brittle nails
Do not use a nail clipper. If there is already a crack in the nail, there is a risk that it will break it completely. Do not clean the nails from the underside with a sharp object. This will make the nail brittle and allow fungi to nest. Better: clean the underside of the nail with a soft brush. Is Shellac an alternative to traditional nail polish? For brittle nails rather not – we explain in our article, why you should be careful with Shellac .